My Gewehr 88/05

General Information & Facts Pertaining To The German Model 1888 Commission Rifle
FusilierStorch

My Gewehr 88/05

Unread postby FusilierStorch » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:23 pm

Hello,

I recently stepped into the Gewehr 88 world by picking up an 1891 Loewe Gewehr 88/05, serial #289h. The rifle was "Turked" and had a bent bolt handle (serial number was not matching). I replaced this with an original straight bolt handle. All other parts are matching serial numbers.

The screw for the front barrel band appears to have been stripped (threads on the screw, not the hole itself), so I've located a replacement that should be on its way soon. The rifle has a rusty patina to the barrel shroud and part of the receiver, as well as some pitting along the sides of the barrel shroud, otherwise the remainder of the rifle seems to be in fine shape. I'd rate the bore to be in fair shape and still has rifling. There was a small dark spot about 2/3 of the way down the barrel that cleaned out and appeared to just be dirt buildup.

I'm still debating on whether I'm going to fire this rifle or just keep as a wall hanger. I still need to slug the bore and see what diameter it is. I've checked the chamber with a no-go gauge and the bolt doesn't close all of the way, so that appears to be good.

I've gone ahead and attached some photos for your viewing pleasure.
Attachments
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
IMG_4687.JPG
IMG_4688.JPG
IMG_4701.JPG
IMG_4702.JPG
IMG_4703.JPG
IMG_4704.JPG
IMG_4705.JPG
IMG_4706.JPG
IMG_4707.JPG

orbill

Re: My Gewehr 88/05

Unread postby orbill » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Looks like a nice project I have 1890 Danzig unchanged so it has the .318 barrel you probably have the larger bore good luck with it.
Regards Bill
A friend said I love guns too much, I said we can't be friends anymore. :lol: