Adventures in finding .318 Bullets

General Information & Facts Pertaining To The German Model 1888 Commission Rifle
americal71

Adventures in finding .318 Bullets

Unread postby americal71 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:29 am

I recently managed to find an '88 that had not been modified in any way. I slugged the barrel and the land diameter was .318. I wanted to shoot it so the search for proper bullets began - very unsuccessfully. However, I read somewhere that these bullets were available in Germany,. Since we were planning an extended trip to Europe I thought - Ah, problem solved. We first went to England. I did search a couple of shops with no success. Next stop was Berlin. After a few tries I fond the Frankonia shop that had exactly one box in stock - 36 Euro. Purchase in hand I prepared for our next stop - Krakow Poland. Imagine my chagrin when a large German border guard pulled us out of the boarding line and hauled me into a small room and informed me that I had a box of 100 patronen in my luggage and that I did not have a German permit to have. I spent three hours trying to explain not patronen - geschloss. Not much luck. So we finally arrived at a compromise. They would search my bag (this could not be done in my presence) and if he could not "shoot" them they would forward my bag. Two days later my bag arrived along with a form stating that my bag had been searched and nothing had been removed. The bullets were still in the luggage - 99 of them' in a zip-lock bag along with the destroyed box they had been in. Next stop Hungary. Upon my departure from Krakow I was politely requested to visit with the border police. What were these things in my luggage? Four hours later, after much explanation; and, Xraying the bullets four times to see what was inside them, I was allowed on the plane. When it was time to depart Hungary I put the bullets, now 98 of them, in my carry-on bag. I was now expecting the same treatment so we arrived at the airport four hours early. I was not giving up my bullets Four hours later after one of the guards took out a pistol magazine and pointed to the projectile. Back to England with 97 bullets. I had to pay $100 to send my bag. England the same - another $100. I arrived back home with 96 very expensive bullets. Now as soon as Midway ships my die part I can shoot my rifle. If anyone has a good load let me know. :lol:

gamblrgrogan

Re: Adventures in finding .318 Bullets

Unread postby gamblrgrogan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:35 pm

Adventures I guess :lol: One never knows what rules or restrictions you might face in traveling these days glad you made it back safe & with your bullets

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Adventures in finding .318 Bullets

Unread postby Admin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:45 am

Wow you did have a adventure there is a thread that has link to new .318 ammo which is now a sticky & Thanks for sharing your story