I'm Stuck - GEW 88 Bolt Re-Assembly

General Information & Facts Pertaining To The German Model 1888 Commission Rifle
jmiles1960

I'm Stuck - GEW 88 Bolt Re-Assembly

Unread postby jmiles1960 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:04 pm

I disassembled the bolt on GEW 88/05 after watching a YouTube video. I cannot get the rear screw cap piece to reach the flush edge of the firing pin. It goes about half way. I don't want to force it with a tool. I'm stuck! I watched the video numerous times and can't figure what I am doing wrong.

Any source of additional information would be appreciated.

I noticed the fire pin has a flat side near the rear of the shift. Should that be facing up or down? I have tried both with no luck.

Thanks in advance.

gamblrgrogan

Re: I'm Stuck - GEW 88 Bolt Re-Assembly

Unread postby gamblrgrogan » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi with the flat side on opposite side of bolt handle push on firing pin tip it should go most of the way if not move safety flag a litte and you will have to press safety toward bolthead for last few turns. Hope that helps

jmiles1960

Unread postby jmiles1960 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:35 pm

gamblrgrogan - Thanks for the help. I will give this a try. Would you recommend Paul Scarlata's book on the GEW 88 as a source for assembly / disassembly info?

gamblrgrogan

Unread postby gamblrgrogan » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:20 pm

Paul Scarlatas book is good but the best in my opinion is Dieter Storz book. German Military Rifles Part 2 cost quite a bit more but has a wealth of information in it,

jmiles1960

Unread postby jmiles1960 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:08 pm

Well, I got the bolt back together and working. I was not aligning the cocking piece onto the back of the firing pin shaft correctly, to allow enough threads for the back-end bolt piece. What a lesson learned. The guy who posted the video didn't even mention this and I paid no attention when I took mine apart for the first time.

I was not able to get the back-end bolt piece perfectly flushed to the end of the firing pin and to click in line with the safety flag. There is maybe 1 or 2 mm hole depth to be perfectly flush. The end piece is clicked under the safety flag, but it almost looks like I could get another turn, but no luck - my fingers were hurting too much and I didn't want to use any tools. It is very close but not perfectly flush.

I believe I took some pictures and will check if it was that way before I started. Do you know if the firing pin should be perfectly flush to the end piece?

I did one dry fire and it functioned OK, but don't want to do any more with a snap cap (plastic round), etc.

Thanks again for your help. There was not much info (practically none) on the Internet about GEW 88 bolt diassembly. This was certainly a learning experience. I plan to slug the barrel next week and then take it to the range with some hand loaded ammo.

Regards - Jim

Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Admin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:36 pm

To tighten last few turns on firing pin nut push safety flag towards bolt head the safety flag spring tension is what stops last few turns, I am thinking about making video showing how to dissassemble and reassemble Gew88 bolts.
Cheers

jmiles1960

Unread postby jmiles1960 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:15 pm

Admin - a video for the GEW 88 bolt disassembly / re-assembly would be greatly appreciated. I believe I have figured it out, but others would likely benefit significantly. Thanks for your help.